Over the last several years, the city of Vicente López, Argentina, has transformed itself into a smart city through the expansion and deployment of data-driven video technology from Milestone Systems integrated with AWS cloud services. This has resulted in improved law enforcement response times, increased department effectiveness, and overall improved city security, transportation, safety, and cleanliness.
Vicente López faced challenges to modernizing its video surveillance system. Prior to 2010, the city invested in 120 cameras that were managed by different platforms. Operational issues and limited response times for crime and traffic management arose. Soon, the city was faced with the following issues:
- Data storage was limited, and the need to expand it was rapidly growing.
- Existing video systems were disparate and had low compatibility and response rates.
- Sharing video across departments and agencies was difficult. Less than 30% of recorded video footage was ever accessed and used.
- Scaling its existing video surveillance system to accommodate for continued city-wide growth was problematic.
Recently, Vicente López deployed a city-wide installation of Milestone System’s XProtect Corporate video technology platform. Milestone’s video technology is integrated with AWS cloud services for centralized management and storage of video data from what has grown to more than 2,000 cameras.
- 80% of the cameras are 4K fixed cameras with built-in AI analytics.
- The city adopted a hybrid model for data storage, using local servers as well as AWS cloud services.
- AWS cloud storage provides very cost-effective, reliable, and responsive video storage that is easily shared and managed from remote locations.
Real-time usage and shared video data helped Vicente López reduce its response times to criminal acts and traffic incidents, while optimizing lighting management, vehicle parking, and more. Further benefits of Milestone’s integration into AWS cloud services include:
- A scalable video technology system that is future-proof
- Cost-effective, hybrid storage
- Enhanced security throughout the city of Vicente López
- Multi-regional, long-term data protection in AWS without additional effort
- An easy-to-use, reliable, very cost-effective video technology system
Vicente López successfully transitioned to using Milestone’s video technology with a seamless AWS integration. A percentage of the video footage is real-time accessible in AWS. The Milestone-AWS integration has successfully transformed the municipality of Vicente López into a smart city, with significant improvements in security, transportation, and overall city management.
Milestone Systems is a leading provider of open-platform video management software; technology that helps the world see how to ensure safety, protect assets and increase business efficiency. Milestone enables an open platform community that drives collaboration and innovation in the development and use of network video technology, with reliable and scalable solutions that are proven in more than 500,000 customer sites worldwide. Founded in 1998, Milestone is a stand-alone company in the Canon Group. Visit www.milestonesys.com.